Shimizu established the management principles of “With devotion and a spirit of innovation, we work to create value that exceeds expectations and contribute to a sustainable tomorrow” based on the philosophy contained in The Analects and the Abacus, our corporate credo. We engage in business activities, not only for our company, but also with a strong awareness of the sustainability of society and the environment.
“Pursuing ESG Management” is the basic policy adopted in the Mid-Term Management Plan <2019-2023>. This plan establishes non-financial key performance indicators (KPI) for each area of ESG. The key strategies in the plan mention the importance of talent development and intellectual property, and investment plans focuses on areas related to human resources.
Advancing ESG-based Management (Mid-Term Management Plan <2019－2023> Key Strategies)
Fulfilling corporate social responsibilities through business activities to obtain stakeholder trust and achieve continuous increases in corporate value
E (Environment): Contribute to a sustainable global environment
- Steady promotion of the mid and long-term CO2 reduction target "Ecology Mission 2030-2050"
- Conservation and indexing of biodiversity within our businesses
- Efforts for waste reduction and effective use of limited global resources
S (Social): Coexistence with all our Stakeholders
- Response to natural disasters with our supply chain to provide customers and society with safety and security
- Value that surpasses the expectations of our customers
- Consistent respect for Human Rights and implementing "Working Style Reform" for our entire workforce, including employees of our supply chain
- Coexisting with the local community as a good corporate citizen, contributing to the resolution of social issues
G (Governance): Strict Compliance & Strengthened Risk Management
- Strictly enforced compliance and strengthened risk management
- Dissemination of corporate ethics based on our company policy of "The Analects and Abacus"
- Comprehensive risk management (including investment risk, geopolitical risk, risk of natural disaster)
- Practice fair and transparent corporate activities
- Improved governance through accurate information disclosure and dialogue with all stakeholders
ESG Management Framework
Shimizu established the SDGs and ESG Promotion Committee (chaired by the President) to formulate and roll out company-wide measures relating to SDGs and ESG, and follow-up of these measures in each division.
The committee reports the results of deliberations which significantly impacts managements such as disclosure information based on the recommendations of Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), to the Board of Directors, in line with the governance structure.
Compositions of the SDGs and ESG Promotion Committee
Deputy Chairperson: Executive Vice President (in charge of SDGs and ESG)
Committee members: Officers in charge of Building Construction, Civil Engineering, and non-construction businesses, et al.
|Meeting frequency||6 times a year|
|Administrative offices||Environmental Strategy Office, SDGs & ESG Promotion Dept., and Human Resources Dept.|
|Main themes deliberated||Environmental Vision, Materiality Issue, TCFD, ESG information disclosure, human rights, and CSR procurement|
Participation in the United Nations Global Compact
Shimizu became a member of the United Nations Global Compact in March 2013.
Simizu Corporetion is a member of the Global Compact Network Japan and is actively involved in the Human Rights Education Subcommittee (as Administrative Agent) and the Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs) Subcommittee.
See the United Nations website for further details.
|Main Requirements||Topics||Activities (Web links)|
|Human Rights||Due diligence|
|Critical situation on human rights|
|Avoidance of complicity|
|Discrimination and the socially vulnerable|
|Civil and political rights|
|Economic, social, and cultural rights|
|Basic labor principles and rights|
|Labor Practices||Employment and employment relationships|
|Labor conditions and social protection|
|Labor safety and health|
|Human resource development and training in the workplace|
|Use of sustainable resources|
|Mitigating and adapting to climate change|
|Environmental protection, biodiversity, and restoration of natural habitats|
|Fair Business Practices||Anti-corruption|
|Responsible political involvement|
|Promoting social responsibility in the value chain|
|Respect for property rights|
|Consumer Issues||Fair marketing; factual, unbiased information and fair contract practices|
|Protecting consumer health and safety|
|Consumer service, support, and complaint and dispute resolution|
|Consumer data protection and privacy|
|Access to necessary and indispensable services|
|Improving education and awareness|
|Community Participation and Development||Community participation|
|Education and culture|
|Job creation and skills development|
|Development of and access to technolog|
|Wealth and income creation|