Top of Page
Page Navigation Menu



HomeAbout ShimizuOur History


Start Contents

Our History

Two Century Tradition for Innovation with Client-Focus

Travel back two centuries to the year of Shimizu's foundation, and you will encounter a much different world. But, visit the carpentry shop of temple-wright Kisuke Shimizu in the early 1800's, and you will recognize the client-focus and innovation that continues today. Explore our Founder's World in Early 1800's.....

Even in feudal Japan, businesses only succeeded by earning the trust of their clients. Kisuke's participation in building the West Wing of Edo Castle for the Shogun played a major role in winning the confidence and patronage of the ruling class of Samurai.

Thus the company was born with a motto so powerful and so timeless that it continues to propel it forward, even today.

Back to the Early Days

Sumitsubo

Sumitsubo (Ink Instrument), operated by stretching an inked string, this tool was indispensible for positioning walls and beams. The photograph shows an example of a Sumitsubo used in 1636 during the Kanei Period (1624-1643) by the designer of the Nikko Toshogu, Korabungo-no-kami-Munehiro as part of the framework raising ceremony for the Toshogu Honjido.

1800      
  1804 Founder Kisuke Shimizu establishes the company in Kanda Kaji-cho, Edo (present-day Tokyo).

Company founder Kisuke Shimizu

  1838 Participated in construction of western section of Edo Castle in Tokyo.
1850    
  1859 Began operations in newly opened port of Yokohama and acquired expertise in Western construction technology.

Tsukiji Hotel (1868)

  1868 Constructed Japan's first Western-style hotel, Tsukiji Hotel.
  1872 Built the structure for Japan's first bank, the Dai-Ichi National Bank.

The Dai-Ichi National Bank (1872)

1900    
  1915 Transformed from private management to corporation, and renamed Shimizu Gumi.
  1917 Completed Yokohama Port Opening Memorial Hall.

Yokohama Port Opening Memorial Hall (1917)

  1920 Completed The Industry Club of Japan Building.

The Industry Club of Japan Building (1920)

  1937 Reorganized as Shimizu Gumi, Ltd.
  1944 Research and Development Section established within Design Division.
  1948 Renamed Shimizu Construction Co., Ltd.

Restoration of the Kabuki-za Theatre (1951)

1950 1951 Completion of restoration work on the Kabuki-za Theatre.
1960 1962 Shares listed on first section of Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Tokaido Shinkansen Shizuoka Station Overpass (1964)

  1964 Completed Tokaido Shinkansen Shizuoka Station Overpass.
Completed Yoyogi National Stadium for the Olympics.

Yoyogi National Stadium (1964)

  1966 Completed The Keidanren Building.

The Keidanren Building (1966)

1970 1973 Construtora Shimizu do Brazil Ltda. established, the first step in the formation of local subsidiaries around the world.
1980 1980 Awarded the Prime Minister Prize of the Japan Industrial Technology Grand Prix for developing and building large-scale underground LNG storage tanks.

Makuhari City Center (1989)

  1989 Completed Makuhari Messe in the new city center of Makuhari in Chiba.
1990    
  1991 Headquarters relocated to Seavans (Minato-ku, Tokyo)
  1995 Completed refurbishment and joining of DN Tower 21 project joining Dai-ichi Seimei Building and The Norinchukin Bank's Yurakucho Building.

DN Tower 21 (Dai-Ichi·Nochu Building) (1995)

  1997 Began construction of the Aqua-Line tunnel across Tokyo Bay and Umihotaru (An artificial island used as a rest station on the Aqua-Line).

Umihotaru (1997)

  1998 Received ISO9001 certification in Japan.
Completed Japan's leading Electromagnetic Environment
Laboratory at Shimizu's Institute of Technology.
  1999 Received ISO14001 certification in Japan.
Received orders for Japan's first PFI business (Kanamachi Water Purification Plant, Bureau of Waterworks, Tokyo Metropolitan Government).
2000    
  2001 Completed Acoustic Laboratory at Shimizu's Institute of Technology.
  2003 200 years since Shimizu was established.
Completed new main building at Shimizu's Institute of Technology.

Shimizu's Institute of Technology (2003)

  2005 Practical application (in the Wind Tunnel Testing Laboratory in Shimizu's Institute of Technology) of Partial Float, the world's first base isolation structure utilizing the buoyancy of water.
  2006 Construction of Bai Chay Bridge in Vietnam, possessing the longest span in the world for a single plane PC cable stayed bridge.
  2007 Terminal 3 at Singapore Changi Airport completed. Total floor area is 550,000 square meters.
  2009 Urban revitalization project linked to the Otemachi 1-chome Redevelopment Project—Construction of the Nippon Keidanren Hall and Head Office of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun Inc.
Sharp Green Front, Sakai LCD Panel Plant completed.
  2010 Long-term vision "Smart Vision 2010" developed.
Tokyo International Airport D-runway completed.
  2011 JR Hakata City completed.
  2012 Kyobashi headquarters began operating (Chuo-ku, Tokyo)

To Top of Page

End of PageTo Top of Page